Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Scope parameter

Hi
I have a report which includes a table as follows
table 1
table1_Group1
table1_Group2
In the footer of Group 1, I have a formula
=Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group2")
When I try and run the report, I keep getting the error
"The value expression for the textbox â'textbox21â' has a scope parameter that
is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be set to a
string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group, the
name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set."
As far as I can tell, table1_Group2 is a containing group?
The only thing that seems to work is putting the dataset name (or leaving it
out completely). The table name or group get this error.
Am I being stupid?
MacI think the problem is that table1_Group2 does not contain table1_Group1.
So a group can refer to something outside itself. But why not use this...?
=Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group1")
The sums should be the same, right? The multiple instances of table1_Group2
should correspond to the instance of table1_Group1 you're displaying.
--
Cheers,
'(' Jeff A. Stucker
\
Business Intelligence
www.criadvantage.com
---
"Mac" <Mac@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:23899F92-A929-4407-854D-07B31AB99422@.microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I have a report which includes a table as follows
> table 1
> table1_Group1
> table1_Group2
> In the footer of Group 1, I have a formula
> =Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group2")
> When I try and run the report, I keep getting the error
> "The value expression for the textbox 'textbox21' has a scope parameter
> that
> is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be set
> to a
> string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group,
> the
> name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set."
> As far as I can tell, table1_Group2 is a containing group?
> The only thing that seems to work is putting the dataset name (or leaving
> it
> out completely). The table name or group get this error.
> Am I being stupid?
> Mac|||Ok that works although what I am trying to is this
I have a dataset which returns the amount invoiced by client
What I want the report to show is the breakdown of the top 20 clients and
then summarise the rest into a single line e.g.
Client 1 100,000
Client 2 90,000
.
.
.
Total top 20 190,000
Other Clients 60,000
Total Income 250,000
As group 2 holds the top 20 clients by using a filter, I wanted (hoping) to
sum the clients in that group only.
Using scope 1, I get the total for the entire dataset
"Jeff A. Stucker" wrote:
> I think the problem is that table1_Group2 does not contain table1_Group1.
> So a group can refer to something outside itself. But why not use this...?
> =Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group1")
> The sums should be the same, right? The multiple instances of table1_Group2
> should correspond to the instance of table1_Group1 you're displaying.
> --
> Cheers,
> '(' Jeff A. Stucker
> \
> Business Intelligence
> www.criadvantage.com
> ---
> "Mac" <Mac@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:23899F92-A929-4407-854D-07B31AB99422@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a report which includes a table as follows
> >
> > table 1
> > table1_Group1
> > table1_Group2
> >
> > In the footer of Group 1, I have a formula
> >
> > =Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group2")
> >
> > When I try and run the report, I keep getting the error
> >
> > "The value expression for the textbox 'textbox21' has a scope parameter
> > that
> > is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be set
> > to a
> > string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group,
> > the
> > name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set."
> >
> > As far as I can tell, table1_Group2 is a containing group?
> >
> > The only thing that seems to work is putting the dataset name (or leaving
> > it
> > out completely). The table name or group get this error.
> >
> > Am I being stupid?
> >
> > Mac
>
>|||Try playing with RunningValue in a formula or maybe a code block. Coupled
with the row count, you may be able to sum them up that way.
--
Cheers,
'(' Jeff A. Stucker
\
Business Intelligence
www.criadvantage.com
---
"Mac" <Mac@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CF9ED55F-C444-4342-B58F-E1863BF28BE3@.microsoft.com...
> Ok that works although what I am trying to is this
> I have a dataset which returns the amount invoiced by client
> What I want the report to show is the breakdown of the top 20 clients and
> then summarise the rest into a single line e.g.
> Client 1 100,000
> Client 2 90,000
> .
> .
> .
> Total top 20 190,000
> Other Clients 60,000
> Total Income 250,000
> As group 2 holds the top 20 clients by using a filter, I wanted (hoping)
> to
> sum the clients in that group only.
> Using scope 1, I get the total for the entire dataset
>
> "Jeff A. Stucker" wrote:
>> I think the problem is that table1_Group2 does not contain table1_Group1.
>> So a group can refer to something outside itself. But why not use
>> this...?
>> =Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group1")
>> The sums should be the same, right? The multiple instances of
>> table1_Group2
>> should correspond to the instance of table1_Group1 you're displaying.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> '(' Jeff A. Stucker
>> \
>> Business Intelligence
>> www.criadvantage.com
>> ---
>> "Mac" <Mac@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:23899F92-A929-4407-854D-07B31AB99422@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a report which includes a table as follows
>> >
>> > table 1
>> > table1_Group1
>> > table1_Group2
>> >
>> > In the footer of Group 1, I have a formula
>> >
>> > =Sum(Fields!INVOICED.Value,"table1_Group2")
>> >
>> > When I try and run the report, I keep getting the error
>> >
>> > "The value expression for the textbox 'textbox21' has a scope parameter
>> > that
>> > is not valid for an aggregate function. The scope parameter must be
>> > set
>> > to a
>> > string constant that is equal to either the name of a containing group,
>> > the
>> > name of a containing data region, or the name of a data set."
>> >
>> > As far as I can tell, table1_Group2 is a containing group?
>> >
>> > The only thing that seems to work is putting the dataset name (or
>> > leaving
>> > it
>> > out completely). The table name or group get this error.
>> >
>> > Am I being stupid?
>> >
>> > Mac
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment